This is the first Gujarati recipe I prepared with the help of my mother-in-law and one of my husband’s favorite.
Methi leaves – 1 bunch
Ripe babana – 1
Besan/chickpea flour – 1 bowl (as needed)
Black pepper – 6-7, coarsely ground
Coriander seeds – 1 t-spoon, coarsely ground
Cumin seeds powder – ½ t-spoon
Red chili powder – 1 t-spoon
Turmeric powder – ½ t-spoon
Asafetida – 1/4th t-spoon
Salt to taste
Oil for deep frying
1 tb-spoon hot oil for gota
1. Knead methi, separate methi leaves and wash well. Roughly chop the leaves.
2. Mash banana. Add methi leaves, all powdered spices, coarsely ground black peppercorns and coriander seeds and salt. Mix all the ingredients and keep aside for 15-20 minutes.
3. Heat oil in pan. Add hot oil to the batter and mix well.
4. Deep fry small pakodas/gota on a medium heat. This gota will take more time to cook than other pakodas.
5. Serve hot with green chutney or tomato ketchup.
You can add more black pepper if you like the flavor and hotness. Methi and banana is a unique combination and tastes delicious. Because of ripe banana, soda-bi- carbonate or fruit salt is not at all needed. Black pepper has to be roughly grounded, do not powder the black peppercorns.